Warwickshire Secondary Books Awards 2020
The Warwickshire Secondary Book Awards will be fifteen this year and is as popular as ever with students. We are busy reading the longlist at the moment, ready for our shortlisting meeting in early November. We love them all for many reasons and part of the criteria for the secondary book awards is that the books must be ‘a really good read that I would recommend to others’.
Do let us know if you have any favourites on the list below:You can get in touch via email here: firstname.lastname@example.org
First Reading Adventure!
We are really excited to be able to share our First Reading Adventure with you. This is a reading engagement package for Years 1 and 2 to promote:
- sharing of books
- recent and fun picture books
- themes of well-being and empathy
- first steps in reading
Our adventure will take children on a journey to greater understanding of themselves and the world around them as well as increasing their confidence with books and early reading.
The high quality texts, chosen by Warwickshire SLS staff, will engage children of all abilities by their attractive design, quality illustrations and exciting narratives.
What do teachers that have been using it say?
'...a great selection of books that the children have really enjoyed listening to. We have had some lovely discussions sparked by the topics in the books, particularly when it comes to protecting our planet. Some of the children have enjoyed doing their own book reviews after they have chosen to read a book independently.
The book activity cards with a brief overview and activity ideas have also been useful.'
Mrs Helen Everley
Henley Montessori Primary
How does it work?
Warwickshire SLS arranges for the books to be delivered to your school (30 new books for you to keep), designed to be used over thirty weeks of the year (10 a term) but schools can use the books in any way they choose. The books come jacketed to make them both easy to clean and long-lasting, making bent corners and scuff marks a thing of the past.
A pack will be sent to the named school contact electronically. It will include a quick guide for staff or volunteers, including activities and curriculum links, and ideas for parents. It will also have copiable promotional materials (pdfs) to keep the pupils engaged in a fun way, which will be emailed to you when you buy the pack.
Why is it needed?
- There is increasing concerns among educators and from the government to have books available that both inspire children to read more and more widely.
- This will help them to engage in a wider understanding of the world and to develop a sense of empathy for other people.
- Many parents and early years’ settings are asking for recommendations of appropriate texts to share with very young children around issues that might be quite difficult to discuss – loss, family changes, first experiences – as well as books that are simply a joy to read!
- Staff in settings and schools do not always have the time to research and select these books themselves. Our team of staff at Warwickshire SLS select books for school on a daily basis and have many years of collective experience.
- This pack from Warwickshire SLS provides your school with brand new books for your school to keep. They are there for you when you are ready to add them in to your topics with Year 1 or 2 and we are confident these titles are timeless in their appeal. They may also meet curriculum needs.
- The selection of books will fulfil your need for ready-to-use stock without the headache of having to select and order books yourselves.
- The First Reading Adventure pack price for one set of the 30 books with jackets, plus accompanying materials and pdfs is £250
- Further sets of the 30 books may be bought for £200
If you are interested please fill out our online form and we will send you all the books and information that you will need to take part.
If you would like to get in touch with us to find out more information, please email us here: email@example.com
Warwickshire Secondary Book Award 2019 Winner!
We are delighted to announce that the winner was S.T.A.G.S by M. A. Bennett.
The majority of Warwickshire's secondary schools participate each year in the book award, seeing it as a terrific opportunity for pupils to enjoy reading and discussion together.
Sixteen schools took part in the awards this year and fourteen of them were able to come along to the final awards ceremony last week at The Bridgehouse Theatre in Warwick.The students taking part in the awards chose the overall winner and this year all of the authors attended the final ceremony, it was very special and there was a real sense of excitement in the theatre as they waited to hear who the overall winner was.
Pictured above are all the authors (Marina Bennett holds her certificate) together with Cllr John Holland who kindly attended and gave out competition prizes and the main award, also Ayub Khan, Head of Libraries and Stella Thebridge, Manager of the SLS.
‘I had a great morning. Wonderful to meet my fellow authors and such passionate young readers…Books can make your dreams come true, and one of mine came true today. Without libraries and readers I wouldn't have been on that stage!’ (M.A. Bennett)
We also ran three competitions for the students to enter and we had some fantastic entries this year. The winner of Competition 1 was Eve from Alcester Academy with her lovely drawing of one of the characters from 'Wolf Children'. Megan from Hartshill School won Competition 2 with her imaginative alternative ending to 'The Nearest Far Away Place' and George from Exhall Grange wrote a persuasive blog championing his favourite book 'Rook'. Thank you to all the students who entered the competitions.
Many thanks to The Bridge House Theatre in Warwick for hosting, to Warwick Books for supporting this event and to the publishers who provided the competition prizes for students (Barrington Stoke and Hot Key Books) .
Warwickshire Year Nine Book Awards 2019
Students are currently busy reading the 4 shortlisted books that they chose for this years Warwickshire Year 9 Book Award.
The team at WSLS carefully selected a longlist of 10 books, which are 10 of the most exciting books published in the past year. Students across Warwickshire took part in longlist speed dating events where they chose the final 4 shortlisted books.
We hope that they will inspire, challenge and leave a lasting impression on readers. Students also have the opportunity to take part in competitions alongside the Award, giving them opportunities to be creative and champion their favourite book!
Students across Warwickshire will vote for their favourite at the beginning of December and their votes alone will decide the WINNER!
If you would like more information please contact us here: firstname.lastname@example.org.