Sign-up for our Warwickshire Junior Book Award 2020!
Warwickshire Schools Library Service is delighted to launch the 2020 Junior Book Award for primary pupils in Years 5 and 6. We are asking pupils to read four great books published during 2019 and then to vote for their favourite. The winner must simply be ‘a good read.’ Pupils read the 4 books over the summer term and then vote for their favourite. All participating schools are invited to the Final Award Ceremony on Thursday 2nd July 2020 (10am-12.30pm). Tickets are shared out evenly between participating schools.
The four shortlisted books are:
- Swimming Against the Storm: Jess Butterworth
- Runaway Robot: Frank Cottrell-Boyce
- Wildspark: Vashti Hardy
- D-Day Dog: Tom Palmer
The WJBA supports the curriculum (and Ofsted initiatives) in the following areas:
- Promotes reading for pleasure
- Can encourage literacy across the curriculum due to the subject nature of the books
- Provides an opportunity for pupils to have an independent choice of reading material
- Book sessions support pupil’s comprehension of full book texts
- Introduces pupils to a new range of authors and texts, supporting their wider reading opportunities.
Benefits of taking part:
- Reading and voting on four top reads (pupils really do decide the winner!)
- Open discussions, often pupil led
- Adults/librarian as co-readers (a wonderful opportunity for modelling!)
- Teacher toolkit to help pupils make the most of taking part
- Exciting Competitions to enter
- WJBA Bookmarks and posters for you to keep
- Free invitation to the final awards ceremony on Thursday 2nd July (10 -12.30) featuring at least one author!
- A visit by a SLS Adviser to discuss the books with pupils during the summer term
- Opportunity to purchase sets of the books for your school to keep (at a discounted price of £25 per set)
Please fill in the online form to sign-up for this event.
We hope your school will join in! If you would like to discuss any of this further please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org