First Reading Adventure!
We are really excited to be able to share our First Reading Adventure with you. This is a reading engagement package for Years 1 and 2 to promote:
- sharing of books
- recent and fun picture books
- themes of well-being and empathy
- first steps in reading
Our adventure will take children on a journey to greater understanding of themselves and the world around them as well as increasing their confidence with books and early reading.
The high quality texts, chosen by Warwickshire SLS staff, will engage children of all abilities by their attractive design, quality illustrations and exciting narratives.
What do teachers that have been using it say?
'...a great selection of books that the children have really enjoyed listening to. We have had some lovely discussions sparked by the topics in the books, particularly when it comes to protecting our planet. Some of the children have enjoyed doing their own book reviews after they have chosen to read a book independently.
The book activity cards with a brief overview and activity ideas have also been useful.'
Mrs Helen Everley
Henley Montessori Primary
How does it work?
Warwickshire SLS arranges for the books to be delivered to your school (30 new books for you to keep), designed to be used over thirty weeks of the year (10 a term) but schools can use the books in any way they choose. The books come jacketed to make them both easy to clean and long-lasting, making bent corners and scuff marks a thing of the past.
A pack will be sent to the named school contact electronically. It will include a quick guide for staff or volunteers, including activities and curriculum links, and ideas for parents. It will also have copiable promotional materials (pdfs) to keep the pupils engaged in a fun way, which will be emailed to you when you buy the pack.
Why is it needed?
- There is increasing concerns among educators and from the government to have books available that both inspire children to read more and more widely.
- This will help them to engage in a wider understanding of the world and to develop a sense of empathy for other people.
- Many parents and early years’ settings are asking for recommendations of appropriate texts to share with very young children around issues that might be quite difficult to discuss – loss, family changes, first experiences – as well as books that are simply a joy to read!
- Staff in settings and schools do not always have the time to research and select these books themselves. Our team of staff at Warwickshire SLS select books for school on a daily basis and have many years of collective experience.
- This pack from Warwickshire SLS provides your school with brand new books for your school to keep. They are there for you when you are ready to add them in to your topics with Year 1 or 2 and we are confident these titles are timeless in their appeal. They may also meet curriculum needs.
- The selection of books will fulfil your need for ready-to-use stock without the headache of having to select and order books yourselves.
- The First Reading Adventure pack price for one set of the 30 books with jackets, plus accompanying materials and pdfs is £250
- Further sets of the 30 books may be bought for £200
If you are interested please fill out our online form and we will send you all the books and information that you will need to take part.
If you would like to get in touch with us to find out more information, please email us here: email@example.com