Shortlist Announced: Warwickshire Junior Book Award 2021!
Warwickshire Schools Library Service are delighted to launch the 2021 Junior Book Award for primary pupils in Years 5 and 6 (#WJBA2021). Our experienced team of librarians have carefully selected the shortlist. Pupils get to read four of the most exciting books published during 2020 and they vote for their favourite towards the end of June 2021. The winner must simply be ‘a good read’ and is decided purely by pupils' votes.
The shortlist is:
- The Soup Movement by Ben Davis
- Voyage of the Sparrowhawk by Natasha Farrant
- When Life Gives You Mangoes by Kereen Getten
- The Wild Way Home by Sophie Kirtley
The WJBA supports the curriculum (and Ofsted initiatives) in the following areas:
• Promotes reading for pleasure.
• Encourages literacy across the curriculum due to the subject nature of the books.
• Provides an opportunity for pupils to have an independent choice of reading material.
• Book sessions support comprehension of full book texts.
• Introduces pupils to a new range of authors and texts, supporting their wider reading opportunities.
Benefits of taking part:
• Reading and voting on four top reads (pupils really do decide the winner!).
• Open discussions, often pupil led.
• Adults/librarian as co-readers (a wonderful opportunity for modelling!).
• Teacher Toolkit to help pupils make the most of taking part.
• Exciting Competitions to enter.
• WJBA shortlist Posters and Bookmarks for your school/pupils.
• Free invitation to our Live Final Awards Ceremony on Thursday 8th July 2021, 10am-12.30pm
We are planning a virtual LIVE Final Awards Ceremony and we will invite all the shortlisted authors. However, we have also provisionally booked the Bridge House Theatre in Warwick, as we would love to meet you all in person if the Covid-19 situation allows.
If you would like more information about how to take part, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us on 01926 413461.